The Year of Faith is a gift and a grace offered to all Christian people.
The Catacombs of St Calixtus can also be a “Door of Faith”; they are in fact a clear and moving message of the faith of the first Christians.
Pope Benedict XVI has put the Christian Catacombs on the list of places where it is possible to acquire a Plenary Indulgence from temporal punishment for one's sins, applicable in suffrage for the souls of the deceased faithful, in the period that extends from 11 October 2012 to 24 November 2013.
This spiritual gift is offered by the Church to all those who, with the proposer disposition, fulfil the normal conditions.
THE GENERAL CONDITIONS for obtaining the Plenary Indulgence are:
- repentance for one's sins and Confession;
- sacramental Communion;
- a prayer for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.
THE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS, linked to the pilgrimage to the Catacombs of St Calixtus are:
- participation in a sacred function or a suitable time of recollection;
- the conclusion of the visit
- with the recitation of the “Our Father”,
- with the Profession of Faith approved by the Church,
- with an invocation to the Holy Martyrs.
The presence and guidance of a Priest is recommended.
Further information and events planned for the Year of Faith: